Comfort Pot Roast
The house will smell so good with it slow cooking in the oven all day. Serve it with delicate chive buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Season all sides of roast with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Brown roast, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.
- Reduce heat under Dutch oven to medium and add onions, carrots, leeks, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add wine scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in broth and tomato paste; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place roast back into the Dutch oven and nestle it in the broth and vegetables. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Cover and put in the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove roast to a cutting board and slice. Spoon the pan juices and vegetables over the beef when serving.
- One 4-5 pound chuck roast
- 1/4 cup flour
- Two tablespoons canola oil
- Two onions, peeled and quartered
- Four large carrots, split lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Two leeks, cleaned and sliced into half-moons
- Two cups sliced white button mushrooms
- Two whole peeled garlic cloves
- One cup red wine
- One quart reduced-sodium beef broth
- Two tablespoons tomato paste