Roll into Summer
You guys know I love my carbs. Pizza, pasta, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes – just a few of my faves. This summer I discovered a new love, the brand new Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Buns & Rolls.
When Sara Lee Bread asked me to create some recipes with them, I was excited because we had already had so much fun earlier this year when we partnered up for Grilled Cheese Day using their Artesano breads. They sent me a huge box of the buns and rolls. Lucky for me, we had family in town, so we invited a few friends and had a party. I made BLT Shrimp Rolls and Mushroom Avocado Melts. These recipes are inspired by East and West Coast summer classics and both are perfect for entertaining.
I made an easy chilled shrimp salad that pairs so nicely with a slice of fresh summer tomato, crispy bacon (it really does make everything better), and a piece of lettuce. Put all of that on a soft Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Roll that tastes like it is homemade, and you’ve got yourself a winner.
The mushroom avocado melt starts by marinating Portobello mushrooms in a mixture of Italian dressing and Worcestershire sauce. I find that by adding the Worcestershire sauce, I get a “meatier” flavor out of the mushrooms. I also make a simple red pepper aioli that adds an extra richness (it can be used on any sandwich or burger so save the leftovers!) I put the mushrooms right on the grill, along with thickly-sliced onions, for that charred flavor we all crave in the summer. I top it with cheese until it gets nice and melted. I like using the Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Buns in this recipe especially because they have a wonderful creamy taste. Add to that sliced tomato, avocado, and iceberg lettuce for some crunch.
My friends and family loved these recipes and I’m sure yours will too! I hope you enjoy them at your next summer party.
There’s so much flavor in this towering grilled veggie burger creation, you won’t miss the meat.
TIME: 30+ MINUTES
- 4 Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Buns
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
- 4 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and brushed with olive oil
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Red Pepper Aioli (recipe follows)
- Red Pepper Aioli Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ jar of roasted red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a dish, combine Italian dressing, lemon, and Worcestershire sauce. Add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (or overnight, if desired).
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill mushrooms 10 minutes on each side, then top with cheese, and let melt. Grill onions simultaneously 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until tender. Place buns on the grill to toast lightly as well.
- Make the Red Pepper Aioli. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and fold together.
- To build the sandwich, spread the top half of each bun with aioli. On each bottom half, place a mushroom, some red onions, avocado slices, a bit of lettuce, sliced tomato, and the top half.
When a BLT meets shrimp salad, you get super snazzy summertime sandwiches on Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Rolls.
TIME: 11-20 MINUTES
- 6 Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Rolls
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp, peeled, tails removed and diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- Bibb lettuce
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the shrimp, celery and chives.
- Split 6 rolls in half and layer 1 tomato slice on each roll bottom. Top each with a scoop of the shrimp mixture, 1 slice of bacon, 1 lettuce leaf and roll tops.